Friday, November 09, 2007

Change the world and/or go home (p&p, day 5)

First half hour of keynote: more Scott H hilarity, lots of LOLcats, a nice wrap-up, like an Episcopal benediction and dismissal, but for geeks. "Be well, write good code, and stay in touch." Thanks be to [insert your Microsoft joke here]!

Second half hour of keynote: more MVC Framework demos by popular demand.

Yesterday was exceptionally difficult and depressing for me (capped off with a miserable 90-minute commute home), so this is just the right mood enhancer at just the right time. Not just the comedy and the great stock photo usage, but also that Scott H explains complicated things pretty accessibly.

More musings on learning styles... I tend to tune out when I can't "contextualize", i.e., figure out how the demoed tech relates to anything I'm doing now (or have done before). The problem is, if I haven't paid attention, how'm I going to recognize an opportunity to apply new tech in the future? We already know the answer to that.

Push learning is going to work better than pull. If I load up on stuff I don't understand now, I'll have a better chance of wiring it together someday when a context presents itself. This is a lot better than flailing around for a solution when I get stuck later, especially because most of the time I won't be "stuck", I'll be writing code that works, but is crap, because I don't know any better.

The benefits of showing up and paying attention: John Lam has just shipped LOLCODE on the DLR and is coming down to the podium to demo it. Now that's something that might really come in handy someday.

No comments: