Thursday, July 03, 2008

On the meaning of life

Last weekend there was a bad apartment fire in Burien... 1.5 complexes were destroyed, 3 people died, 70-some are homeless, and arson is suspected (Blaze that killed 3 people was arson).

I hadn't been able to figure out where the apartments were located in Burien, and it bugs me to not know things about Burien. I had heard something about them being generally on SW 155th, and yesterday I happened to be driving on SW 156th... so... yeah. I wanted to check it out*. SW 155th isn't very long, so it didn't take much time to find the place.

LG & I cruised by and looked at the two burned-out buildings and the "ARSON" signs. As we passed, I noticed a memorial set up for the victims of the fire, and I mentioned to her, by way of imparting how bad a deal this fire really was, that a 7-year-old boy was one of the ones killed.

LG thought for a moment and said: "He didn't even have a chance to live his life."

Then: "He didn't even get to live as much of a life as I have."

Something about that, from an 8-year-old, struck me as really profound. That is all.

--
* Not trying to be disrespectful, but... yeah, I know. I did it anyway.

No comments: