Monday, September 01, 2008

Oh no she didn't

I assure you, I am not making this up. I'm actually pretty late to the party.

From an Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire in 2006, when Sarah Palin was a candidate for governor:
"11. Are you offended by the phrase 'Under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

SP: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I’ll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance."
The original version of the Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892.

"of the United States of America" was added in 1922-23.

Congress declared it the official national pledge in 1942.

And finally, "under God" was added by Congress, at the urging of the Knights of Columbus, in 1954.

Maybe she meant different "founding fathers" than the ones in 1776?

No comments: