Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Gender bending and breaking

The NY Times had a great, detailed article on the subject of F2M transgendered students at women's colleges ("When Girls Will Be Boys", March 16). This is a topic with which I was already slightly acquainted on account of Smith's SGA changing some important charter document to gender-neutral language a year or so ago, baffling we alums who were under the impression that Smith is still a women's college (it is).

The article mentions that colleges are dealing with trans issues more directly nowadays specifically because "adults who wished to transition historically did so in middle age. Today a larger percentage of transitions occur in adolescence or young adulthood."

I was inclined to some eye-rolling about all this before, but the NYT article brought me up short a little bit by pointing this out:
"In a sense, transgender and genderqueer students could be said merely to be holding women’s colleges to their word: to fully support women’s exploration of gender, even if that exploration ends with students no longer being female-identified."
Oh, right. That Women's Studies major I did, it said something about all that.

(Pwned! By the NY Times! On the subject of gender conformity! Oh, the shame.)

Anyway, I've read and heard now a few different attempts to explain or understand this new trans* generation:
  1. It's a natural extension of postmodern feminism, in which the very foundations of gender (and, often, biological sex itself! I've done it!) are seen as social constructs open to be questioned. (In other words, it's my fault. :) )

  2. It's a fad. Possibly a dangerous fad, given the longer-term implications of hormones and even surgeries. Being queer, being "bi-curious", getting pierced, whatever, no longer edgy enough... so trans* is the next envelope-pushing idea. (In other words, it's my fault. LOL.)
Something kinda strange occurred to me the other day, though, when I started putting this together with the huge amounts of reading I've been doing lately on the marketing of gender roles.

I guess I can't substantiate, but I believe, that our culture is imposing gender roles on children a lot more than was commonly done in the 1970s and 1980s. Even parents and aunties who don't want to participate actively in this phenomenon are fighting an uphill battle (see "Unisex Baby Hell", December 2006). Just yesterday on outside the (toy) box was this:
"...my wonderful nanny recently told me about a friend who asked her pediatrician what to do because her son kept asking for a stroller. Not a boy with a stroller! Someone DO something!"
What if, by pressuring our very youngest children to conform to restrictive gender roles, we're sending them the message that if they are interested in anything remotely gender-nonconforming, their only solution is to become a conforming gender?

What would that mean? If gender roles are constructed, does that make it a bad thing to want to uphold the construct but just switch to a different one? Don't we go into a culture war with the culture we have? I've even heard it suggested that those who transition might even be selling out the rest of us who nonconform in the bodies we were born with! I don't think that can possibly be the case... it's not like extremely conservative/traditionalist types love trans* people for upholding all of their preconceptions about gender. :D

I wonder what the complementarians think...?!

3 comments:

mom said...

Yes, yes, yes. This is one of those prculiarities -- if we have come such a long way in terms of gender (men who change diapers, women who have careers...), why is it that we uphold gender standards so much more stringently than in the past. 25 years ago jeans were jeans and turtlenecks were turtlenecks for kids --- no longer. Every item of clothing is gendered -- down to the SOCKS. And, what's more -- toys are far more gendered -- even those coded as gender neutral (e.g., bikes, play cameras, etc.) are now marketed in gendered packages. Do you know the "push-y" popcorn popper for tots (with the little balls that pop up) -- even that now comes in a boy version and a girl version.

Here's an old post I did on this very topic.

http://outside-the-toybox.com/little-man-watching-my-sons-socialization-or-gender-its-wicked-constructed/2007/11/20/

mom said...

PS I also love this old post from Stewgad:

http://prettyharddammit.blogspot.com/2007/06/gendering-of-american-infancy.html

I'll go back to my own blog now :-)

Jana Kleitsch said...

Good timing as I was just planning a post from the trenches on this one. I'm still sorting out my thoughts though. -Jana