Saturday, January 20, 2007

Getting rid of postal mail advertising packets

Those advertising and coupon packages that fall apart in my mailbox really make me angry, especially because the packages themselves don't contain any information about how to get rid of them. When I first moved in here, I started calling the "advertise with us!" phone numbers until I reached someone with information about how to get off their lists. I had to make my request in writing by postal mail, and both of them advised that they will only honor a removal for two years!

It's been two years. Grrr.

But, good news! The two offenders that recently showed up, falling apart, in my mailbox, now accept removal requests online! Neither one of them says anything on their site about the two-year limit, but my guess is it's still in effect. They keep hoping you'll sell your house to someone who likes their crap.

As a public service, and a personal reminder for myself in two years, I present:

Remove your address from the ShopWise® mailing list

Remove your address from the ValPak mailing list

Remove your address, phone and/or email from Direct Marketing Association lists¹

__________
¹ Don't hold your breath about spammers honoring your DMA preferences, obviously.

No comments: